Friday, August 9, 2013

Read-alouds

It has been quite some time since I posted.  Now that the school year is starting on Monday, my first goal of the year is to keep my blog up and running. Wish me luck!

One of the first decisions I make every school year is what read aloud will I start with?  I always want something that will really hook my students.  In the past I have done: Wonder, Freak the Mighty, Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key, or The Shadow Club.  I would love to start with Wonder again, but am worried that most kids have read it now.  I will have to find out next week.  If most have read it, then I need to make a decision.  This summer I read Rump, which was pretty good and will probably review it in a future post.  I also plan to read Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library which has received excellent reviews.  There is also The Bully Book which I guess has a lot to discuss.  I am also thinking about A Tale Dark and Grimm.  Fun and gruesome to hook the boys.  As you can see, some tough decisions.

But before all that, I will read the short story, Curses, Inc. by Vivian Vande Velde.  It is a 30 page short story that always helps start the year off strong.  I highly recommend it.  This story helps me get my read-aloud groove on.

What read aloud do you start with?  What recommendations do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment