Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Edmodo

Two years ago, I started using Edmodo in my 6th grade Language Arts classroom.  If you are not familiar with Edmodo, it is a social network type site; however, it is made specifically for educators.  It is has a browser similar to Facebook so it is user-friendly.  I enjoyed using Edmodo as a means to communicate with my students, as well as, the parents. 

Last school year, my team decided not to use Edmodo as they had never used it and were not ready to jump on the Edmodo wagon.  By the end of the year we were the only 6th grade team not using Edmodo in the classroom.  Looking back, I don't know why I didn't go ahead and start using it.  Maybe because it was a team decision.

This year, my team has already decided that we will instill Edmodo right from the start.  I am excited about this.  I am already thinking about new ways to use Edmodo in my classroom.

1.  Communication - obviously, I will continue using it as a great communication tool to update the parents on what is happening and what is coming up in my class

2.  Assignments - I will post assignments, handouts, review sheets, test dates,articles, videos, etc that we covered in class

3.  Reading Response - this will be new for me.  I hope to have laptops periodically and have students blog about their reading.  This way I can respond to their blog instead of collecting 85 notebooks.

4.  Writing - I hope to do more writing (similar to reading response) but reflecting on themes, life events, etc on their blogs instead of in notebooks.

I am always looking for new ideas.  Please share if you use Edmodo or blogs in your classroom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment